there are a lot of issues around manual video aperture control of the 5DMII.
Roughly it is as follows:
- switch to LiveView
- toggle +2 or -2 EV exposure compensation (depending whether you want to close or open aperture)
- press the shutter button half-way down to see the current exposure settings
- move the 5DMII to/away from light until you get a right aperture
- press *-button to lock settings
- use exposure compensation wheel to set the right exposure
This only works for one shoot and it is mandatory to repeat every time you press stop. (adapted from Miklav comment in www.microstockgroup.com forum).
I also made a quick search around the net and here are the results:
There are yet a few good resources to video recording on the 5D Mark II:
- Planet5D.com – wiki for the 5D Mark II, forum and nice articles, especially this one (everything around video recording nicely collected)
- Cinema5D.com – huge forum devoted to filming on the 5DMII
- Provideocoalition.com – How To Shoot Video with the Canon 5D MKII: An introduction to capturing HD video with Canon’s hot new DSLR – brilliant tutorial video by Tyler Ginter on how to use the video mode of the Canon EOS 5D Mark II. Video broken into six chapters, full length 16:18 mins. Aperture control section starts at 9:09 mins.
- Vincent LaForet\’s Blog – He was the first person that shot a video an the 5D Mark II. Click here to see “Reverie” or follow to his site in my links section.
For now, that’s it. If you come across more useful information feel free to leave a comment for this post and I will update as soon as possible